1. She hadn’t eaten all day, and by the time she got home, she was _________.
It means extremely hungry.
2. The movie offended many of the parents of its younger viewers by including unnecessary ________ in the dialogue.
It means offensive speech or conduct.
3. His neighbors found his ____________ manner bossy and irritating, and they stopped inviting him to backyard barbeques.
It means overbearing or offensively self-assured.
4. Ali is always ____________ about showing up for work because he feels that tardiness is a sign of irresponsibility.
It means arriving exactly on time.
5. Maria would _______ her little sister into an argument by teasing her and calling her names.
To provoke is to incite anger or resentment; to call forth a feeling or action.